The liver is one of the body´s most vital organs with incredible multi-tasking skills. If we put the wrong substances into our bodies, this puts even more strain on an already overworked liver. This post highlights some natural remedies to detox your liver.
Not only is the liver one of the hardest, working organs in the body, but it is also resilient. The liver keeps working even while injured and finds ways to keep going. If the liver doesn´t function properly, this could cause some serious health problems and may compromise your immune system.
Natural liver cleansing foods
Nature gives us many fruits and vegetables full of nutrients to equip all of our organs with exactly what they need, and the liver is no exception.
Some natural liver cleansing foods include:
- leafy greens (kale, spinach) rich in antioxidants
- cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower) can trigger cleaning enzymes
- oatmeal and grains (whole grains) contain fiber and antioxidants
- brown rice, millet, quinoa, barley
- citrus fruits (lemon, lime, oranges, grapefruit)
- fatty fish (tuna, sardines, mackerel rich in Omega 3 fatty acids) fatty acids reduce inflammation
- garlic (sulfur compounds are essential for liver support; help flush out toxins)
- fruit and vegetables (full of powerful nutrients, nature´s finest)
Some additional tips
Replace unhealthy oils with healthier ones like extra virgin olive oil.
Consume enough protein but don´t overdo it (2 servings per week is acceptable).
Incorporate fiber and essential fatty acids.
Engage in physical activity at least 3x a week.
Prevention is very effective for treating liver diseases. Diet, exercise, and some other lifestyle/behavioral changes (avoid illicit drug use, alcohol consumption, and smoking) are big components of prevention.
Reduces cholesterol in the body (beware, people with anemia-related conditions should limit use)
Turmeric and ginger
Protects the liver from damage, repairs liver cells and boosts bile production (too much could lead to stomach problems or diarrhea).
Protects the liver from damage by toxins, disease, and inflammation. Antioxidant properties prevent free radical formation.
Apple cider shots
Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider (or a shot glass) on an empty stomach (morning) if you can stand the taste.
Boil 2 cups of water in a pan. Then add 2-3 tablespoons of dried cranberries. Simmer for around 20 minutes. Let cool and then strain. Enjoy.
Chop 4-5 celery stalks and place them in a blender, chop some parsley, and add 1 cup of coconut water for flavor. Or add 1 cup of brewed green tea blend instead and enjoy.
There are many varieties of smoothies to choose from. Here are just a few.
Banana and berry smoothie
- Cut 2 bananas into small pieces, then place them in a blender.
- Add ½ a cup of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries.
- You can add a cup of milk/almond/ soy milk. Blend and enjoy.
Pineapple, celery, ginger
- Cut ½ a pineapple into pieces.
- Chop 5 stalks of celery into pieces.
- Put 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Add 1 cup of water/coconut water and blend.
Beetroot and berries
- Chop 1 cooked beetroot and put in the blender
- Add 1 cup of berries (your choice) to the blender.
- Add 1 cup of water. Blend and enjoy.
Apricot and cantaloupe
- Chop 3-4 apricots.
- Chop ½ a cantaloupe.
- Chop 2 cooked carrots.
- Add 1 cup of coconut water.
- Blend and enjoy.
Carrots and broccoli soup
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1-2 medium red beet
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- Chop carrots, broccoli, beets, and cauliflower and put to a boil with 2 cups of water with the vegetable stock cubes.
- In 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, fry the chopped onion and garlic.
- Pour the freshly fried onion and garlic into the pan with the other ingredients.
- Cook for 20 minutes and enjoy.
- Chop 2 cups of broccoli
- Chop 2 cups of celery
- Chop 3 medium-large carrots
- Add 1 cup of kale
- Chop 2 onions
- Chop 2 garlic cloves
- Pour all the ingredients into a pan with 3 cups of water.
- Add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste.
- Add 2 cubes of vegetable stock.
- Add 1 teaspoon coconut milk.
- Boil for 20 minutes and enjoy.
Liver diseases are on the rise. The liver is a very important organ that filters the substances we ingest. Lifestyle changes can overturn some liver conditions. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Exercise at least 3x a week.
If you can´t do any strenuous exercises for health purposes, you can take a walk to the park or walk around your neighborhood for at least 30 minutes.
Avoid smoking, and drug use, and keep alcoholic beverages to a minimum (some people may even have to give it up for a while to allow the liver to heal depending on how severe the damage is).
It is best to get most of your nutrients from your meals. A healthy lifestyle change can support your liver health. The liver is hardworking, and you do not want to put more stress on it than it already has.
Make smart choices and improve your liver health today!
You may like