Onions come in all colors, shapes, sizes, and flavors. Onions are one of the oldest foods known to man. And some types of onions are easy to grow. But what is the back story of this ancient crop? What are the health benefits of onions? Discover the power of onions here and more.
A closer look
Onions (Allium cepa) are old species from the garlic and scallion family. There are many species of onions, but yellow/brown onion is the most popular in cuisines worldwide. They are known for their pungent smells and the ability to ‘make you cry’ when you cut them. This reaction is because of a gas called Syn-propanethial S-oxide. There are several simple solutions to avoid this, such as refrigerating the onion for 30 minutes before use.
Ancient Romans believed that onions had medicinal properties. They believed; that onions could treat many difficulties such as mouth sores, toothaches, and dog bites, and even possess the ability to improve sleep. Our pilgrim fathers planted bulb onions as one of their first crops.
Onions range in flavors from sweet and juicy to spicy and sharp. There are many ways to prepare onions, such as baking, frying, braising, roasting, grilling, or in their raw state. You do, however, get the most nutrients from raw onions.
Onions are a nutrient-dense food as they are high in minerals, vitamins, and nutrition but low in calories. Other ingredients include:
- vitamin B6, C
Onions are a source of prebiotic fibers which feed the good bacteria in your gut.
eBay Fine Watches
There are hundreds of species of onions.
The baking of onion skins produces an orange-brown dye.
China produces the most onions worldwide.
Onions are mostly made up of water, carbohydrates, and fiber.
Studies show that some people who applied onion juice to the scalp started to see regrowth after only 2 weeks when used 2x a day.
Parsley can help eliminate onion breath.
Onions are poisonous to pets.
The ancient Romans were on the right track in their belief that onions consisted of many health benefits. Some health benefits include;
- may reduce cancer risk
- may strengthen the immune system
- rich in antioxidants
- contains antibacterial properties
- may help regulate blood sugar
- may support heart health
- improve mood
- improve digestive health
- maintain brain health
- helpful in treating water retention (potent diuretic)
- may protect against bone deterioration
- may promote new hair growth
Perhaps you were surprised that onions are a good source of vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a vital role in supporting, building, and maintaining collagen, which gives hair its structure. Are you suffering from alopecia and are not intolerant to onions? Perhaps you can try rubbing onion juice on your scalp to reverse hair loss.
Onions have anti-microbial properties which fight scalp infections and can transform your scalp´s health and strengthen your hair follicles. The sulfur compounds in onions provide nourishment to keratin and can increase the growth phase of the hairs.
Some hair benefits include:
- antifungal properties against dandruff
- may stimulate and increase blood flow to the hair
- may increase hair growth
- may improve your hair´s health
Onion juice and hair oil hair treatments
You will need
- 2 onions (1 red, 1 yellow/brown)
- 2 garlic cloves
1. Cut the ends off of both onions and peel off the skin.
2. Do not take off too much of the skin, as the first couple of layers are full of nutrients.
3. Chop up the garlic cloves.
4. Blend in a blender or juicer.
5. Strain the mixture with a cheesecloth or coffee filter.
Some people may have an intolerance to onions, so it is best to test a small patch of your skin before you apply it to your scalp. Section off your hair and apply to the scalp.
Place a shower cap over your head and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash the mixture out and shampoo your hair. You can add a conditioner with a refreshing scent for an additional 15 minutes to get any remaining onion smell out.
The boiling method may be the easiest.
1. Using the same ingredients of 2 onions and 2 garlic cloves, chop and add to a pan of boiling water.
2. Boil for another 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Sift the mixture.
5. Apply to hair.
6. Leave on for 20 minutes.
7. Wash hair with a good shampoo.
8. Condition your hair and rinse it out.
You will need:
- 3 onions (1 yellow and 2 red)
- 3 garlic cloves
1. Blend all the ingredients.
2. Add 15 tablespoons of coconut oil/olive oil to a pan.
3. Add garlic and onion paste to the pan of oil.
4. Add 15 more tablespoons of oil and mix well.
5. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
6. Cool down, and use a cheesecloth to separate the oil.
7. Apply to your scalp twice daily.
This mixture can last up to 3 months.
Some old traditional remedies
Onions can fight off the common cold, fever, and certain types of allergies. Combine a mixture of onion juice (fresh is best) with some honey to combat cold-like symptoms.
Onions can help reduce pain after a bee sting. Apply a freshly cut onion to the area of infection to reduce pain.
Some traditions use an equal amount of onion juice and apple cider to get rid of dark spots on your skin. Both ingredients are known to balance the pH of your skin.
eBay Foot massager machine with heat compressor- pamper your feet
Onions are a nutrient-dense superfood. There are many benefits of onions, however, some people are intolerable of onions. Because of this, it is best to do a skin test before using any homemade onion hair recipes.
Onions have a pungent smell and this alone may deter some people from using any treatment. However, shampooing and conditioning your hair after use will help eliminate the onion smell.
Also, onion consumption can give mouth and body odor. So although onions may have many positive attributes, there are also a few negatives. The key takeaway here is that you can elevate your health by adding onions to your daily balanced diet. No single food can give you all the nutrients you need.
Healthy foods are stronger and work better together and not apart. Adding a healthy variety of nutrient-dense foods into your diet is one of the best gifts you can give your immune system.
You may also like