The pineapple is a spiky, strange-looking fruit covered with scaly eye-looking bumps, which resembles a pinecone, hence its name.
You may not be drawn to pineapple because of its beauty, but the inside of this tasty fruit is full of surprises.
What can this fruit possibly offer, you ask? Let´s dive into the world of pineapple and discover its astounding hidden health benefits.
The home of the pineapple is South America, but today it is grown in tropical countries around the world. The pineapple´s name is a bit deceptive because it has nothing to do with pine cones (except for the look) or apples. Pineapple contains Bromelain, a very powerful enzyme that possesses a slew of health benefits that can boost your immune system. Bromelain´s chief characteristic is that it enables your body to make substances that fight pain and swelling.
Interesting Pineapple Facts
A pineapple reaches maturation in 3 years.
Once a pineapple is picked for harvest, the ripening process significantly slows down.
Pineapple is great as a meat tenderizer because Bromelain breaks down proteins.
From a botanical standpoint, a pineapple is actually a berry.
One pineapple plant produces only one pineapple per season.
The crown of the pineapple can be cut off and planted in the soil.
There are many different types of pineapples, but two of the most famous types are cayenne pineapple and red Spanish pineapple.
Health Benefits of Pineapple
Teeth and Gums: improves the health and strength of your gums and teeth.
Eyes: encourages eye health, wards off Macular Degeneration (deterioration of the central part of the retina)
Bones: pineapples are a good source of manganese, strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis
Feet: may treat cracks in your feet
Nails: may strengthen nails
Gut: may improve gut health
Pregnancy: may relieve nausea, prevent premature births, and may reduce bleeding after childbirth
Menstrual cramps: may reduce menstrual cramps by 50%
Inflammation: fights inflammation (the presence of too much inflammation in the body, especially after long periods, can lead to cancer)
Cancer: may help prevent breast cancer and other cancers-inhibits the growth of blood vessels that feed tumors
Surgery/injury: helps heal skin and tissues after surgical procedures
Oxidative Stress: wards off free radicals, oxidative stress, and unstable molecules that cause cell damage
Blood Pressure: reduces high blood pressure
Viral and Bacterial Infections: the enzyme Bromelain in pineapple fights off infections
Cough and colds: pineapples are a rich source of Vitamin C and combat cold and flu symptoms
Arthritis: relieves joint pain, protects cartilage tissue
Weight loss: natural weight loss booster, that flushes out excess water from the body
Post Workout: pineapple is known to help recovery after a workout
Digestion: aids in digestion
Kidney Stones: helps ease suffering from Kidney stones.
Pineapple can brighten the skin, dissolve dead skin, make your skin smooth and radiant, and can make you look younger. It helps keep skin firm and flexible because collagen synthesis increases.
Pineapple face mask
- 1 tablespoon pineapple puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
Mix the honey in the pineapple puree.
1. Apply the mixture to your face.
2. Leave on for 5-10 minutes and no longer.
3. If you feel too much tingling or burning, wash off immediately. (Some people may be allergic to pineapples).
Raw Pineapple chunk for the face
1. You can simply take a chunk of pineapple, and with a knife, you can put holes in it.
2. Take the chunk of pineapple and gently pass it all over your face.
3. Ensuring that the natural juices from the pineapple get all over your face.
4. Leave on for 5 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
5. Enjoy a bright and fresh complexion.
Pineapple contains hair-thickening properties that can make hair strong and prevent hair from falling out. Also, pineapples can improve the elasticity of hair due to high levels of Vitamin C (which helps fight hair loss). Pineapple juice is known to cure hair loss and improve the quality of your hair. (home-made is best)
Home-made pineapple hair mask
- 5-6 pieces/chunks of pineapples
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
1. Grind or blend pineapple pieces.
2. Add plain yogurt.
3. Add the egg yolk.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
5. Mix all the ingredients well.
6. Place on freshly washed hair.
7. Leave for 5-10 minutes.
How to choose a suitable pineapple
1. Touch the pineapple if it´s too hard; it´s not ripe.
2. Sniff the bottom of the pineapple; if it smells fresh then it’s a keeper.
3. If you bought a green pineapple at the store, the quickest way to encourage it to ripen is to put it near fruits that release ethylene gas. Some people put the pineapple in a brown bag with ethylene gas-releasing fruits (apples, ripe bananas, avocado, pears).
How to cut a pineapple
1. Chop off the crown.
2. Chop off the base.
3. Place the pineapple in a standing position.
4. Shave off the sides.
5. Once the pineapple has been peeled, take a smaller knife and cut out the brown parts (eyes)
- Add pineapple cubes, preferably from freshly cut pineapples, and put them into your cup of coffee instead of sugar.
- Enjoy pineapple chunks in plain Greek yogurt.
- Try grilled pineapple pieces. Cut the pineapple lengthwise into a big long piece. Grill and enjoy.
- Make a pineapple and avocado salad. Chop pineapple and avocado, add some green leafy vegetables, and enjoy.
Some people may be allergic to pineapple. People with diabetes and people on blood-thinning medications should also eat pineapple in modest amounts.
The pineapple has a reputation for tasty cocktail drinks (pina colada) and pineapple upside-down cake. But this peculiar-looking fruit has a string of surprising and impressive health benefits. Bromelain, the enzyme found in pineapples has many health benefits; one of the chief properties of Bromelain is to fight inflammation.
The compounds in pineapple can make your hair fuller with more elasticity and less fallout. Pineapple can brighten your skin too. Nature´s best (fruits and vegetables) offer our bodies the highly complex nutrients it needs to survive and strive, and pineapples are no exception.
A healthy balanced diet full of vegetables, fruit, and whole grains, along with exercise, can strengthen your immune system and keep diseases away. Make healthy lifestyle choices today; if you have not done so already.
You may like:
We at elevatehealthylifestylechoices.com are passionate about encouraging people to change their lifestyles to healthier ones. The medical information provided on this site should be considered an informational resource only and is not to be used or relied upon for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.